Monday, January 9, 2012

Chalkboard labels...

Today's DIY is going to be chalkboard labels. Oh how I love chalkboard labels! When you spend the entire day with a roomful of kids it doesn't take much to get you excited :) I actually love all labels, my husband has threatened to hide my label maker once or twice. (I tend to get a little carried away) In my option chalkboard labels are better then the "print-n-stick" labels because you can be as indecisive as you want. All you have to do to change the label is wipe and rewrite. I do like to use the printable ones for other things, but sometimes you need a label that's a little more display worthy. This is one of my favorite DIYs because it's quick, easy and it costs very little. I will say that one of my mistakes was trying to use a regular chalk stick which you can tell by the picture produces very clumsy letters. You should really use a chalk ink pen.

All you'll need is some chalkboard paint (I prefer the spray kind because it's easier to apply evenly) and a few counter top sample tiles (these are free at most hardware stores) I use both small and large tiles depending on the project. You'll also need some glue if you're going to make the longer labels like the one I have on my basket. I used waterproof silicone instead of glue because I already had a tube opened but gorilla glue works much better.

To make the longer label you'll need 2 tiles for the label and an extra tile to glue to the back to hold both tiles together. Think brick laying :) The back tile should be right in the middle so that 1/2 is glued to the back of the 1st tile and the other 1/2 is glued to the back of the 2nd tile. Also, don't forget you'll need something to attach your label. I use loose-leaf rings, hair rubber bands(new), twine, safety pins etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment