Thursday, January 12, 2012

Keyboard magnets...

Here's another simple, low cost DIY that's also eco-friendly. What a great way to upcycle your old keyboard. My poor old laptop finally died so I'm giving part of it a second life :) I'm actually going to be using another (much older) keyboard for this particular project. I'll explain why in the next couple of pictures. Don't worry though, I will be saving these keys for another project. I just wanted to show how I popped the keys off the keyboard. They come off very easily, all you have to do is slide a flat head screwdriver under the key and lightly lift 'til it pops off. You can even do this with your fingers, but it is a bit easier with the screwdriver.

Okay, here's why I chose to use my old school keyboard for this project. I wanted to use those little button magnets, the kind that are tiny but very strong. The older keys are a little deeper, the perfect depth to completely conceal the magnet. If I used the thinner keys I would have had to go with sheet magnets which aren't very strong at all. I also think the old school ones are a little cooler :) Don't you?
Next I broke away the plastic parts on the inside of the keys. I had to pinch the plastic at the base. One piece at a time I twisted a little back and forth until it broke away from the key. I recommend using needle-nose pliers for this. I really don't know how else you could do it? I did this 'til all the keys were hollowed out.
Here's what it looks like once all the inner plastic is removed. I also kept the laptop key in the picture to show just how thin it is.
I used waterproof silicone to hold the button magnet in place. I know other people have used hot glue and it worked just fine. I just really hate working with hot glue. It's necessary for some projects, but I have had problems in the past with the glue not holding especially on smooth surfaces like plastic. I have too many kids in my house to worry about a magnet popping off and being swallowed. Silicone does have a longer dry time. I let mine sit undisturbed for 24 hours.

24 hours later...Our fridge is sporting it's oh-so-cute and eco-friendly keyboard magnets :)









No comments:

Post a Comment